Update on Averting Medicare Payment Cuts
The House of Representatives passed legislation on Tuesday that would substantially reduce the nearly 10% in physician fee cuts that are scheduled for Jan. 1, 2022, under the Medicare program. The legislation now is being considered by the Senate. The AAO provided the following summary of the legislation:
- Halt the majority of the 3.75% evaluation and management (E/M) conversion factor cut in 2022 with a 0.75% cut going into effect Jan. 1
- Phase in reinstatement of the 2% Medicare sequestration cut instead of implementing it Jan. 1.
- No cut would be in effect January – March 2022.
- 1% of the cut would be in effect April – June 2022.
- Full reinstatement of the 2% cut would be allowed on July 1.
- Delay for a year the 4% Medicare cut mandated for 2022 under statutory balanced budget rules known as “PAYGO.”
You can still impact the process by contacting Senator Portman and Brown and urge them to pass the legislation this week.